Friday, July 07, 2006

How Do You Save On Groceries?

I was at the grocery store today, doing as I say, and picking up lean proteins, healthy fats, and lots of fruits and vegetables.

At the checkout line, I was behind a guy about 60 years old, 25 pounds overweight, but he didn't look too unhealthy.

We both had full carts, but when I reviewed his food selection, I felt worried for him. Everything was a high-carbohydrate, processed food.
  • Ice Cream
  • Chips
  • White Bread
  • Juice
  • Etc., etc.
Even though he didn't look too unhealthy on the outside, that food lineup is bound to make the All-Diabetes team.

And then the kicker. The cost of his full grocery cart = $59.

The cost of my full grocery cart = $143.

My lineup:
  • Salmon
  • Broccoli
  • Almonds
  • Walnuts
  • Apples
  • Berries
  • Cherries
  • Yams
  • Asparagus
  • Etc, Etc.
So one of the unfortunate truths about eating healthy is that it costs money (heck, not all of this stuff was even organic...and you know that would cost even more!).

Recently I was asked how to eat healthy if your budget is limited. And frankly, I didn't know. I don't cap my food spending, but I know I don't waste money on anything else...and I don't have to commute so I don't need to buy gas. So I buy the highest quality food I can afford.

But do you have any tips to help out my reader that wanted to know how to eat healthy on a budget?

If you do, send me an email...

We appreciate any help you have,

CB

1 comment:

ks said...

Buying fruits and vegetables at "Farmers Markets" or Fruit and Vegetable stores helps cut the cost on things like that, plus eggs which I get for $1 (US). It's also a lot fresher and just better than what I find at the supermarket.