Thursday, September 07, 2006

Common Cardio Workout Question

Cardio Workout

As a TT reader, you know that I think intervals are superior to slow and steady cardio. But which method or machine is best? And how long should each interval be?

Each week I hear from readers asking, "What do you think of the rowing machine for intervals?", "Can I swim for intervals?", "What about Jump rope for intervals?', etc.
So today let's review which method is best for interval training.

In the following list, I rank the methods and machines from most effective to least effective. The key point with intervals is to do a large amount of mechanical work in a short amount of time.

That is: You want to move your body over a large distance in a set interval. That's why sprinting is great, and jump rope less effective (with jump rope, the actual distance moved by the body is relatively small - 1-2 inches vertically using both legs).

Remember, in the end, all methods of exercise should be effective if you are doing the intervals correctly and eating for fat loss, but...you probably will still see better results when you use method #1.

So our #1 method remains as sprinting. And that makes the #1 machine the treadmill.

More specifically, the absolute, #1, nothing-is-better-than-this-method-of-interval-training is, sprinting hills outside on grass. If you can do this safely, this is the best cardio workout for fat loss.

Clearly, while this is an option for myself, it might not be for others, particularly beginners. Hill walking therefore might be appropriate for beginners in good health.

Of course, with great reward often comes increased risk. Sprinting is not for everyone. Sore knees, poor warmups, unconditioned muscles, and poor running form can quickly lead to immediate and overuse injuries. So be very conservative with this training method. Do not do hill sprinting if it is possibly unsafe for you.

The next best interval training method? Surprisingly...

2) Bodyweight Exercises
No machines necessary. Can be done in small areas. And will improve your strength and muscle endurance as well. The 6-month Bodyweight TT Manual will show you how to use bodyweight exercises for intervals as well as for developing strength. Check it out here.

"Craig, I have, for the most part, had an attitude that BW training must be for the weak and untrained. Recently, the two leaders in the field in my mind (yourself and Cosgrove) have had much to say about BW training. Needing a change, and stuck not making any progress in improved leanness, I decided to give it a try.
What a surprise.
The workouts are tough. I'm enjoying them more than weights and intervals (still do a bit of intervals). And ... guess what, suddenly I'm seeing major changes in my leanness. Considerably more than I was getting conventionally! With the ways you have to make it tougher, even very strong athletes can experience great challenge. Functional fitness training it is. You are terrific. Keep up the great work."
David Odell

And continuing the list of best interval cardio fat loss workouts...

3) Stationary cycling/hill climbing on a road bike

4) The Rowing Machine - These are okay, but I wouldn't expect to get as good of results on a rowing machine as I would sprinting.

The rowing machine can be used to give you variation in your interval workouts. You could do half of your intervals on your bike and then the rest on the rower, or alternate between sprinting and rowing interval workouts.

5) The Elliptical Machine/Crosstrainer Machine
Easy on the knees, but not as good as sprinting. So better than nothing, but if you're a consistent elliptical user, and stuck at a fat loss plateau, I suggest trying out a different method of interval training (preferably bodyweight circuits).

6) Fast/Incline Walking
If you are using incline walking on the treadmill, be careful not to do too much. Incline walking can cause tight calves and possible overuse injury in the Achilles tendon.

Now, how long should each interval last?

The answer is, "It should always be changing."

Just like with your weight training, your interval workouts should change every 4 weeks. And it is also a good idea to use different interval durations in different workouts each week. That's why I include multiple interval workouts in my fat loss manuals.

"I am shocked at how effective Turbulence Training really is. I've been working out on and off for years using various programs and this so far TT is the winner in terms of max results in minimum time. I even started out with the Beginner program, a little unsure as to how effective it would be since I thought maybe I should start with the Orig TT program.

Regardless, I'm now half way through Intermediate and I'm a dress size smaller. The only tweaking I had to do was with diet (lowered my cals) b/c of thyroid medication. Thanks Craig!"
S Bates

Do more work to burn more fat,

CB

P.S.The TT Membership is an incredible resource for any fitness enthusiast or personal trainer, giving you enough workouts to last you till 2008.

You'll get the 6-month Bodyweight manual, the TT for Fat Loss program, the TT for Women programs, all of the new monthly workouts, etc., etc.

And don't forget, if you are a previous customer you can get the TT Membership for as little as $97. Drop me an email if you havent' received your preferred customer's discount link.

I'm also thinking about adding a private forum allowing members to get guaranteed access to me. With my volume of mail being so high, I can't answer everyone...and a forum would guarantee that I could get to a member's questions ASAP. Members - let me know if this is a good idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have contributed a great deal to the fitness industry. Your cardio information on the different machines and the use of interval training and the body weight exercises for cardio conditioning and fat loss have revamped the way the cardio is viewed today. Further, your ideas can be substantiated in current professional literature such as that found in Medicine Science and Sport in Exercise. I ran a complete Pub Med search on your ideas and wondered if you could recommend a couple of good studies which offer some precise "numbers" on calories burned per session/epoc on the different interval training modalities you discussed in this blog. The help would be greatly appreciated as I am researching this area... Lanny Schaffer, Exercise Physiologist and Ira m Silverman, M.D