Monday, November 20, 2006

Lower Abs

Do lower abs exist? What are the best exercises for lower abs? How can I lose the fat off my lower abs?

These are some of the most common questions about abs. You and I hear them all the time.
But should people even be asking these questions?

Most of the time, I don't think so. People that have 20% body fat can't expect to see their lower abs no matter how many lower ab exercises they do. So they should be focused on more efficient and effective methods of training to help them lose body fat.

Tip #1 to seeing your lower abs: Be able to see your upper abs first.

If you can do that, cool, let's move on. But if you can't, why are you tormenting yourself with the details? You need to clean up your nutrition and training first, and start shedding body fat faster.

As ab expert Tom Venuto has written, "Seeing your abs, or any other muscle group for that matter - is almost entirely the result of having low body fat levels. You get low body fat from proper diet (as well as cardio), not from doing hundreds of ab exercises every day."

(I always like to quote other experts because I'm not sure anyone believes me anymore!)

So work on getting your regular abs first - and by that I mean training with multi-muscle, high-intensity exercise first.

The other day in the gym watching a lady and her trainer go through various "lower ab" exercises...now I love this lady, I really do, and I want her to get results...but she's not going to go from 30% body fat to 18% fat (and starting to see her abs) by doing reverse crunches. She should stop that, do intervals and total body movements. She should focus on "non-ab training" to see her abs. You know what I mean?

Now I could have easily written this article and promised you great lower abs by doing reverse crunches, hanging leg raises, and hanging knee raises (just like every other "lower abs workout program" ever published in Muscle 'n' Fiction). But that would give you false hope.

At least I'm a realist...

Are there really lower ab exercises, anyways?

Hmm, yes and no. According to the latest research, exercises that are traditionally thought of as lower ab exercises aren't really lower ab exercises at all. There might not even be such things as "lower abs" at all!

But what does the experienced bodybuilder say?

That lower abs exist, and then they tell you about the best lower ab exercises ever. Of course.

Where's the truth? In the lab or in the gym? Or in the middle?

Here's the trade-off, how to have the best of both "lower ab" worlds.

First, focus on losing body fat using a good fat loss plan like TT or Afterburn.

Second, if you can see your upper abs, pick 2 high-quality lower ab exercises that in theory could preferentially train your lower abs (i.e. hanging knee raises and Stability Ball Jackknife).

Do these once a week, no more. Don't do 300 reps every other day. In another ab workout, pick 2 other "total body" ab exercises and do those.

Evaluate your progress after 4 weeks. Then it's time to change your exercises. You should also be tracking your program. That way, you can make a good judgement as to whether or not the last training program worked. If it did, you can come back to it after a few months of other programs. Remember you must have variety in your training.

If you have more body fat or weaker abdominal muscles, just focus on the plank, side plank, and other basics to start.

Everyone has lower abs, they are just covered by body fat,

CB

P.S. For more ab exercises...
You can use the Mountain Climber and Spiderman Climb. These are a step-up from the Plank exercises. You can also use some curl-up variations, but there is no need to go overboard.
There are plenty of ab exercises in the 6-month Bodyweight Manual, including all of the above.

And TT for Fat Loss as well.

"Dear Craig, for the last year or so, I've plateaued in the mid to high 170s, having come from the low 190's. I wasn't getting anywhere with my old program, so I started the TT program just 5 weeks ago. Since then, I have not only increased my strength, endurance and overall energy level, I've gone from 175 lbs to 166 lbs. That's more than 9 lbs of fat since I've definitely gained muscle. I finally have a waist again, and I can actually begin to see what abs look like! Thanks!" John Sobraske

"Craig, my wife has had a dramatic change in her abs as a result of your program. They are well cut and defined in the upper and mid abs. (she has a well defined "4 pack")."
Bobby Logan

No comments: