Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Weight Loss Q'n'A

Let's hit the reader mail and go over your fat loss questions - let's get your fat loss workout plan straightened out in time for the New Year so that you are riding a wave of motivation into "fat loss season".


Q: You and Alwyn are always quoting this famous interval training study from Laval...what interval program did they use?

Answer:
I actually had to ask Alwyn Cosgrove directly, because I'd misplaced my copy of the study...

The interval program used in this study that gave greater results than the slow cardio program was...
Workout A) 10 to 15 rounds of 15 - 30 seconds work
Workout B) 4 to 5 rounds of 60 - 90 seconds.

Recovery was until the HR = 120-130 bpm (which would have been about 60% of maximum heart rate for the subjects).

Again, if you read my interval article last week, I've stated there currently is no "best" interval method and that it can be used by beginners. It's all relative. Key word, relative.

Q: I've been doing the Original TT program for about 2 weeks already and WOW? it works! I've lost 3lb's so far.

On to my concern, would I be overdoing it if I did the Core Exercises and intervals in between my strength days? Or would I benefit by resting all together and giving it my all on my strength days? I ask only because that's what I've been doing but I don't want my body to adapt too quickly to the intense intervals.

If you can clear i up for that I'd really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Answer:
That alternating training method should be fine. Let me know how it goes, and back off a bit if you get too tired. In fact, the more feedback I get from everyone on their "Split-training" experiments, the better. That could help me formulate an even more effective fat loss program.
Thanks!

Q: Just a quick question.....I'm 5'0 and 123 pounds...I want to loose 10 - 14 pounds but want to get lean and not build (get big). Is this program good for me?

Answer:
Hi! Yes Turbulence Training is still for you - or your money back. You will like the combination of dumbbell and bodyweight exercises to help you get lean without any fear of adding bulk. Our nutrition guidelines will also help you stay on track. It's that simple.

You could start with this month's 10-minute workout for starters...

Q: I am really enjoying your workouts, I just have a couple of questions. DB squats and front squats - I find these exercises really awkward. Should I use less weight and work on my form? Or switch to regular barbell squats?

Answer:
Yes, both those squats can be awkward. Use those for warmups and then back squats for regular workouts, until you feel comfortable with the form on the others. Glad to hear you are fine doing back squats.

So for any exercise that is hard for you, just practice on it during your warm-up. With enough practice you'll have good form and can start increasing the load in the exercise.

Remember: Strength training is a skill. It's kind of like juggling in that both require neuromuscular co-ordination. Don't get frustrated if you can't do the exercise the first time you try.Just practice.

Q: My only real experience with weights before this was Bodypump classes... For the weights I am picking my muscles can handle the load with correct form for all the reps but my lungs don't cope with the continuous pace. One more thing, is it "against the rules" to drop the weight as you progress? I notice that most people increase as they go along

Answer:
No worries, no stress. It's just a trial and error experience...that's why I can never write-in specific weights to be used. Just play around with things and make note of the weight you use each time and your body's response.

Correct, we aren't focused too much on muscle "burn" from weights. Rather a strength approach to fatigue, which means not being able to use perfect form after 8 or 9 reps. These lower reps won't give you the same "burn" you are used to from the pump classes. It is fine to drop the weight between sets. If you fall from 8 reps in set 1, to 6 reps in set 2, you can drop the weight and try to get 8 reps in set 3.

If you increase the weights from sets 1 to set 2, that is okay, because you could use the first set as a half-warm-up, half-workset. But you should not be able to do more weight in set 3. If you can, that means set 2 was not done at the right intensity.

Done right, it fights fat fast,
CB

P.S. I better get back to work on building the membership site...
And I hope you'll take advantage of the Pre-Launch offer. Just a reminder, here's the deal...a)

For new clients, I'm knocking the price down BIG TIME. You can become a TT Member for only $127. Click HERE to become a NEW TT Member

b) For previous clients, but non-members, you can get your membership now for only $97. That's $50 off the launch price. Click HERE to become a TT Member

c) For current members...you can add another 12 months onto your current membership for only $77. Click HERE to renew

But remember, this is a LIMITED TIME OFFER, and could expire at any time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money now

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money now