Thursday, February 15, 2007

Fitness Follies

Well, today's workout didn't get off to a good start, but there are some lessons I can pass on to you...

On my second set of squats, my pants split down the back from butt to knee...fortunately I was wearing shorts underneath, so i was able to finish my workout.

The lesson? The reason my pants split is because I was squatting with the right form to get the most out of the exercise for my glutes and hamstrings. That requires me to push my butt back, rather than bending my knees first.

You can see good squat form in my youtube video HERE

In addition to me splitting my pants, some guy (or guys) had noxious body odor. The simple lesson here? Don't be that guy. Just because you are going to the gym doesn't excuse you from good hygiene. Bath, and use deoderant. Two easy exercises everyone should be able to do.

Today's crappiest exercise form award goes to the guy doing a terrible version of the clean and press. He was rounded over like a rainbow picking the bar off the ground.

Lesson? Don't do any exercise that you don't know how to do. Get in-person, qualified instruction for all exercises.

As for my workout, I was pleased that I didn't overdo it. I felt pretty weak having taken 17 days off from lifting weights...unfortunately, I wasn't able to do squats after I split my pants...so I'll do some leg movements tomorrow.

Today, I did...

2 sets of moderately heavy bench press
1 set each of neutral chins, regular chins, and pullups
3 sets of bodyweight rows
2 sets of dumbbell incline presses
3 sets of plank with arms on ball
1 set decline pushups to failure
1 set triceps extensions

Thats it, and my arms feel tired. Pretty pathetic.

Oh, and earlier we did a 1-hour dog walk in deep snow. He's grown so much in 2 weeks! I bet he's put on 5-10 pounds.

He ain't a puppy no more,

CB

No comments: