Monday, May 21, 2007

Change Your Workout Mindset

If you've ever read a "muscle magazine", Turbulence Training seems like a lot of BS. How can you lose fat and gain muscle using a workout routine like Turbulence Training? Its not enough exercise, a muscle magazine reader might say!

Only 3 workouts per week?

I shouldn't do 5 exercises per bodypart?

You don't need to do 5 hours of cardio per week?

Yes, no, and correct.

But being fed a diet of daily 90-minute workouts "like the bodybuilding pro's do it", can really set in stone people's opinions of what a workout should be...

So when I ask people to trade quantity for TT quality, it's a big, big mindshift. And we recently had a big discussion about this on the forum at www.TTMembers.com

Here are two real-life examples that have shown me why I take the quality route...

A) More rest = better workouts = more results

Whenever I travel and miss a workout, as i did last week, and get extra rest, I always hit the gym with more mental energy, desire, and eagerness to lift. The result? Most often a personal best, as I achieved last friday with my double overhand grip 350lbs deadlift.

Being able to do more high-quality work will translate into more calories, and more fat, burned in the post-exercise time.

B) Just how many freakin' sets do you think your chest can handle?

High quantity workouts are redundant, and by the end, are not as intense as they could be.

Take today's workout as evidence and compare it to last weeks bench workout.

Today: I worked up to a set of 265 for 5 reps on the bench press. I then did a set of 205 to failure for only 8 reps.

Last week: I worked up to a single rep (i.e. LOWER VOLUME) in my main exercise. I was then able to complete 11 reps at 225 to failure.

So when someone does 4-5 exercises for a muscle group, what are you really getting out of the 3rd, 4th, and 5th exercises that you didn't already get from exercises 1 and 2?

Things to think about. For more information on quality vs. quantity of training, visit the TT Member's fat loss forum or watch my Turbulence Training Lecture Video HERE.

Next month in the TTMembers site, some meal plans from Dr. Chris Mohr,

CB

PS - Confused about the Membership site?

As a Basic Level monthly member, you have access to the Workout of the Month Department, the Fat Loss Interviews, the teleseminars, and the Discussion Forums.

Access to ALL of the TT manuals and Videos is reserved for Platinum Members. The current regular price is $147 for a 1-year Platinum Membership, but on June 1st it more than doubles to $297 per year.

Click HERE to become a TTMember today

(Remember: Only Platinum Members get to watch the videos...)


"Craig, I have contacted many professional trainers over the years and your quick response time and feeback is unparalleled in comparison. At TTmembers.com you can expect the same type of treatment. The programs you design are the most superior fat loss workouts out there! What I like, however, is how easily adaptable the workouts are to any personal goal. I also wanted to say a little something about the video resources at TTmembers.com. The youtube videos are great quality. Its also refreshing to know that the guy writing your program can also perform all the exercises he recommends, which is not always the case. The fact that TTmembers.com offers every workout you have every published, video resources, interviews with the industry's finest coaches, and a discussion forum for one price is amazing! Simply the best resource out there for anyone who wants to look great, feel great, and perform great. Awesome job!"
Brian Yureskes, Salt Lake City, UT

"I have just signed up for the TT Members forum and was blown away by the number of resources available. Thanks for doing such a great job with the site and I look forward to my journey to better health."
- from the TT Discussion Forum  

Click HERE to become a TTMember today

No comments: