Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Over 40? Frustrated with your fat loss exercise?

want to know how to motivate people at any
age to get fit and stay fit, in addition to
getting maximum results with any age group
in minimum time.

I work with many frustrated men and women
over the age of 40 who no longer believe they
can change their bodies. But take a look at
this info.

Read this interview I did with Jon Benson,
author of the incredible book, Fit Over 40

Check out the amazing success stories in his book.

CB: Jon, what nutrition and training changes
have you noticed at different stages in your life
and in the experiences of the success stories in
your book? Do the nutrition principles change
at all? What about training and recovery?

JB
As you age, your body tends to process carbohydrate more reluctantly.
There are exceptions of course, but for the most part people with
any issues with bodyfat to begin with should curtail their intake
of carbs.

This may not mean a "low-carb" diet, but they certainly work if you
enjoy protein foods as I do.

Cranking up the protein, the water, and various forms of cardio can
allow just about anyone at any age to get the fat off and build
muscle.

I'm building plenty of muscle at 43 -- more so than I did at 33. The
body fat comes off a bit slower, but not much...that is when I
consume a higher protein, controlled carb, moderate fat diet with
intense and brief weight training sessions.

I am currently experimenting with daily cardio sessions which vary
in intensity. Some are longer at 65% MHR, others are 30 minutes at
85%. So far, so good.

Bottom line: If you eat and think properly, as I discuss in Fit
Over 40 (the mind is a huge part of all of this), your body can
respond like it did when you were 20.

Finally, I recommend everyone have a full hormone panel done to
make sure any poor eating habits over the years have not lowered
thyroid levels, testosterone, or growth hormone.

If your levels are low, ask your doctor about natural alternatives.

There are many to choose from before you jump into "HRT", or hormone
replacement therapy. Hormones are more vital to fat loss and muscle
gain than calories and cardio.

Without your hormone health, you can forget about building muscle
and burning bodyfat. Since hormone levels tend to decline
with age, this is not something to be ignored.

I cover how I manage my hormones in Fit Over 40. I found a
combination of HRT with supplementation and food worked wonders.

However, I had pituitary damage at 27, which adversely affected my
hormone levels early in life. Most people will not need HRT to
elevate their hormone levels. Again, this is best covered with your
doctor -- and no one should ever self-medicate.

CB: Thanks Jon. By the way, Jon's made a special course available to
you here:
Fit Over 40 E-course. Jon, any final comments for
today's interview?

JB:

My system of Caloric Rotation allows for muscle building and the
burning of bodyfat to happen at the same time. In order to get the
body you want, you want to gain lean muscle. That gives you the
curves you seek, plus keeps your bones nice and strong.

You 'also' want to burn off excess bodyfat. Otherwise you'll never
see the muscle you are building. Once you do that, you're "toned".
In short, you become a fat-burning machine.

You can read more about how I do this in my book, Fit Over 40, if
you don't have it already.

So "mentally let yourself do this". Mentally give yourself
"permission". That sounds strange, but it's actually part
of my System. The mind must be engaged or the body will not follow.

CB: Thanks Jon. No matter what your age, Jon's mindset changing
tips will help you burn fat and gain muscle - and more importantly,
build the best body of your life.
 
Be the best you can be.

Sincerely,
 
Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS
Author, Turbulence Training

P.S. On that link Jon gave is a very special e-course.
 
I'd like you to sign-up today, particularly if you're having any
trouble with your current program. I want you to stay focused on
achieving all of your goals.

No comments: