Monday, June 23, 2008

Personal Records Workout


Set a personal record in today's workout. Actually, set a couple of them. One of them was even on purpose.


The other record was a mistake, and I'm worried I'm turning into Mr. Magoo...


More on that below...let's breakdown the workout.


Strength Training Exercise


Deadlift - Overhand Grip - 365x1 - Personal Best


I was surprised by how easy this went up. I'm a big fan of kettlebells for improving grip strength, and I think that is one of the reasons for the personal best.


Deadlift - 345x3x5 - mixed grip.


Turbulence Training Intermediate Workout A


For the second workout in a row (see Saturday's workout), I grabbed a heavier weight than I expected and did my set...only to find out after the set that I made the error.


As a result, I set a personal best. There is a lesson here...and that is that most of us don't push ourselves as hard as we can. Safety first of course, but there's a little more left in the tank than we want to admit.


That's why working with a trainer or working out with a workout partner often gives greater results. Or at the very least, using a program designed by someone else - i.e. Turbulence Training - because it asks you to do exercises you would otherwise skip over.


1A) DB Split Squats - 1x8, 1x6 using 90lbs dumbbells (Ooops, thought I was grabbing 80pounders. So set a personal best by 10 pounds. I noticed after the first set, and maybe "knowing" was why I only did 6 reps in the second set).


1B) DB Incline Press - 1x8, 1x7 using 90lbs. Also didn't know for the first set.


Looks like I might need to get new glasses!


2A) BB RDL - 225x2x8
2B) Pushups Max - 43


3) Played around with a bunch of ab exercises...including Chin-up/Knee Raise combo. I liked it.


4) Deadlift - 225x15


Pretty tired after this one. Next time I will use the right weights!


Train hard but train safe,


Craig Ballantyne, CSCS, MS


PS - I have a NEW Free Report for Men that includes a NEW Sample TT Workout...


Click HERE to get your sample workout & meal plan to build muscle and lose fat


No comments: