Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Nutrition, Not Workouts

Have had a lot of requests for nutrition updates, and since I didn't train today, I figured I'd go over what I've been eating lately.

Last night I finished up a late filming session and was hungry, so I met a friend and decided to have a slice of vegetarian pizza with them from Pizza Pizza (Canadian pizza chain). Not a good call, and their dipping sauce was worse than the pizza. Oh well...

This morning, I started with my current regular breakfast of a blender drink poured over uncooked oatmeal, raw almonds and raisins. The blender drink consisted of:

- blueberries
- raspberries
- 1 banana
- spinach
- tablespoon almond butter
- walnuts
- cacao nibs
- almond milk (I tried using Hemp Bliss instead of almond milk, but Hemp is intolerable)

Sometimes I add a scoop of Vega or Sun Warrior vegan protein powder, but most of the time I forget. Probably makes no difference and when I run out of what I have I probably won't buy another bottle of vegan protein.

For an early lunch I had two southwest flavored "organic sunshine burgers". That's right, burgers made out of sunflower seeds. The full ingredient list:

- organic raw sunflower seeds, organic brown rice, organic carrots, organic black beans, organic bell peppers, organic cilantro, organic garlic, organic jalapeno peppers, organic ground cumin seeds, organic onion, sea salt

On one burger I went traditiona...with ketchup, mustard, tomato, and pickles. On the other, I went with just tomato and avocado. Both were good.

And here's the "foundation" of my grocery list - the staples that I get almost every 5 days:

- 6 ORGANIC red apples
- 6 bananas
- 1 broccoli
- 1 ORGANIC red pepper
- 1 ORGANIC orange pepper
- raspberries
- 1 bag spinach
- 1 tomato
- 2 avocado
- 4 oranges
- 2 grapefruit
- 2 vanilla almond milk
- 4 amys'chili
- 2 jars spaghetti sauce
- veggie burger patties
- flax bread

Alright, back to a workout tomorrow with deadlifts.

Craig

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how much sodium is in the sunshine burgers?

Anonymous said...

Hey Craig!

I would like to cut back on my bread/grain intake, but I hate to sacrifice my banana almond butter sandwiches. I was curious on your flax bread makeup? Ingredients? Any ideas where I can buy it? Bread made from flax sounds like a great way to replace standard whole wheat bread(s).

-Dan

Craig Ballantyne, CTT, Certified Turbulence Trainer said...

Dan, the brand is Vege Hut

Ruth said...

Where's the meat mate?!