Monday, June 11, 2012

Tough Mudder Injury List

Well, went to the gym today, but can't really do much except foam rolling, old-man warm-up, and dumbbell presses.

My Tough Mudder muscle soreness is still strong, and is focused on:

- IT Band (extreme soreness at the origin)
- Vastus medialis (just above knee)
- Rectus femoris (at origin)
- Forearms (brachioradialis)
- Biceps brachi

Fortunately, rotator cuff and calves are not sore. I was most worried about these muscles. Perhaps it was 'protecting my calves' that caused the problem in my hips/IT band.

Later today I fly back to Toronto. Tomorrow, I'll be back at the gym for another mobility session. Probably looking at my first real weights workout on Friday. That will make it over 17 days since my last heavy lifting session.

My running partner, Jeff Schneider, isn't suffering from much muscle soreness, but his knees are hurting.

So no matter what your fitness level, you can expect the Tough Mudder to put you out of your normal routine for a few days.

Training Question of the Day
Q: I read somewhere (can't remember if it was one of your programs/books or not) that there's not much benefit after 20-30 minutes of cardio. how is that true if you're still burning calories?

Answer:
I didn't say that. To clarify: Research shows that slow cardio is a waste of time for fat loss. And second, what this point is probably referring to is that you get most of the cardiovascular benefits from 20-30 minutes. in fact, a recent research study found that LONG endurance training DAMAGES the heart
- http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/06/01/marathon-endurance-heart.html

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tip:
"Everybody in your situation has the same choice: you can rue your situation or you can dedicate yourself to changing it. Accept responsibility for your future. Refuse to complain, criticize, or condemn." – Mark Ford

Overcoming a sneaky time management obstacle
- http://www.earlytorise.com/your-overlooked-time-management-obstacle/

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Certified Turbulence Trainer

No comments: