Friday, January 09, 2015

Getting Back on Track

Today's workout brought me back to LA Fitness. Time for some Meathead Upper Body pressing and pulls. I was well fueled after the last couple of days (see below) and despite a bit of tightness in my right pec, I had a great workout.

Lots of WYLIT, pushups, band pulls, etc to warm-up.

1A) Bench Press
1B) Bodyweight Row

2A) Military Press
2B) Wacky Hammer Strength Low Row in honor of Jay Ferruggia

(Jay and I always try to find the weirdest rowing machine when we visit commercial gyms.)

3A) Triceps Extension
3B) Shrug

Wednesday evening I dealt myself setbacks on my streaks. I went out for dinner and ate way too much. I knew it, too, but at least it was at dinner and not a post-dinner binge. Heck, we ate and ordered so much food that our server tried cutting us off! I ate so much I wasn't hungry all day on Thursday.

My mistake stemmed from too many drinks. I got caught up in a celebratory mood with Bedros. We had a great day of coaching high-energy entrepreneurs and we were catching up on the good times of the holidays and celebrating the New Year. Ironically we even talked about my resolutions while we sat there destroying them. Geez Louise, I can royally mess up. But I'm looking back on it and laughing.

Last night, after a day long fast and a late afternoon session of intervals and burpees, and a much needed hour long nap, we went to Prime 112 for dinner. I was certainly full after dinner, as that place brings mountains of food, and we ate a lot of shellfish (oysters, stone crab claws, shrimp, and crab legs). I had plain grilled sea bass, a baked potato, spinach, sweet potatoes, and some collard greens. That was clearly more than enough. I enjoyed watching my friends, the Hadsalls, Joel, Bedros, Rick, and Westy eat the crazy desserts that were brought our way (fried oreos, fried cupcakes, etc.). Those are way off my diet plan.








Dinner with the gang (Bedros, Shaun & Karen Hadsall, Rick Kaselj, Ryan Colby, Mike Westerdal, and Mr. Miami, Joel Marion). I'm busted with my mouth full of crab. Sorry! Great meal at Prime 112 of oysters, shrimp, crab, tuna, stone crab claws, sea bass, baked potato, and spinach. Amazing times!
Photo: Dinner with the gang (Bedros, Shaun & Karen Hadsall, Rick Kaselj, Ryan Colby, Mike Westerdal, and Mr. Miami, Joel Marion). I'm busted with my mouth full of crab. Sorry! Great meal at Prime 112 of oysters, shrimp, crab, tuna, stone crab claws, sea bass, baked potato, and spinach. Amazing times!

On the bright side, I went for another swim yesterday and today. That's 10 days in a row. That streak will probably end on Tuesday morning in Denver, as I don't think that my hotel has a pool.

Friday, January 9th Streaking Update

1) 3000 words per day - On pace

Will hit 3000 due to an early morning wake-up session.

2) No Post Dinner Binge Eating

The good thing about eating too much the other night is that there is no temptation to overeat for several days. Always look on the bright side of your mistakes. Learn your lessons, move on, and remember that each second ticking away on the clock takes you further away from your mistakes of the past. You can't change them, but you can leave them behind. Don't dwell on the past. Focus on the future.

3) 1 Drink Maximum

Last night was one, and tonight will be none. We have a big group work dinner and during big events like this (there will be 50 people there), I don't drink at all...only when it's small groups of friends in non-formal work situations. And then I'll end the weekend by returning to the 1-D max on Saturday night, plus no drinks on Sunday. So time to get serious about this because this is the foundation of success. I've been silly this week, lessons learned, memories made, experiences had, focusing on the positive of my mistakes. Ha.

4) No Outbursts or Snarkiness

Really great day yesterday. We coached 20 people and despite being tired, I was well prepared to overcome the temptation of outbursts. I did well here. Focusing on the positives!

5) Healthy Gut Days

Everything has been working fine, although eating so much food (even though it was all read food and not junk) is not the best way to treat the gut. But I haven't missed any of my supplement regiment and again, everything is working well and not causing me distress. Focus on real, healthy food, and just cut back on going overboard. That's my motto to get back on track.

So overall there was a setback. However, it was small. Minor damage that can be dealt with. Just a blip on the radar.

And so I'll leave you with a few mindset tips on how I deal with these mistakes, and hope you make the same attitude adjustment when you make a mistake and have to correct course.
Cacao, like all seeds, contains phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors that interfere with the digestion process and inhibit the absorption of nutrients. That's why it is recommended that seeds be soaked or fermented prior to consumption. This deactivates the enzyme inhibitors and lessens the phytic acid. - See more at: http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2013/07/29/chocolate-friend-or-foe/#sthash.c2LO3afm.dpufacao, like all seeds, contains phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors that interfere with the digestion process and inhibit the absorption of nutrients. That's why it is recommended that seeds be soaked or fermented prior to consumption. This deactivates the enzyme inhibitors and lessens the phytic acid.

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tip:
It's always darkest before the dawn. There will be days when you struggle. We all make mistakes…but successful shake them off, rebound rapidly, and get back on track. We forgive ourselves and focus on what matters – learning from those mistakes. It's okay. Mistakes happen. We aren't perfect. We might fall back to bad behaviors, but the key is catching yourself, pulling yourself out of a negative spiral, getting support and accountability to jump back on the track to success, to start making the right decisions again, to smile and laugh about the minor mistakes we've made, and to learn lessons that help us avoid the errors of our ways in the future. I know. I mess up all the time. And that's why I know that mistakes are minor damage that can be dealt with. Stay positive. Move ahead. Don't regret what you can't change. Everyone goes through days like this. But not quitting is what separates success from failure. So stay strong and never give up on what is important to you. You can do it. I believe in you. Let's go!

Push on,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT


PS - Never give up on getting better.

Stay STRONG and true to yourself today, no matter what happens, no matter what anyone else says, no matter how they act. Everything ends at some point. Good times AND bad. So persevere through the hard times knowing they will be over and you will get through them, and be present and enjoy the good times with as much gratitude as possible. Control what you can (your behaviors and thoughts), cope with what you can't (the behaviors of others), command your morning, conquer the chaos, and concentrate on what counts. Never give up on what really matters to YOU.



No comments: