Saturday, February 28, 2015

Deads and depressed friends

Dandy deadlifting was done on Friday. The morning started great with lots of writing, then a big breakfast of walnuts, coconut oil, and cacao nibs. That's my version of cereal. Alas, I washed it down with a Coke Zero because I needed a high-voltage jump start for the deads.

Forgive me my diet sin!

Then it was off to a local LA Fitness around 10am. It's right beside where the Phillies have spring training, and inside it's big, but old and wearing down. It is no Fit Athletic or Powerhouse, that's for sure.

The weight room was busy around the squat racks with one bodybuilder doing curls, another squatting, and an athlete doing impressive front-loaded barbell bulgarian split squats. Then there were a bunch of ignorant kids doing squats with poor form in the Smith Machine and jibber-jabbering.

One kid stuck out like a sore thumb. He looked, and acted like, Napolean Dynamite's obese, stupider cousin. His shirt was ripped 6 inches under each armpit, he was toothless (in spots), and he wore ankle weights above his black shoes, making it seem like he was wearing moon boots (an obvious oddity for a gym...in Florida). He wouldn't stop talking either. He just walked up to people and started a conversation like they were old friends.

After my third set of deadlifts he looked at me and said, "Hey boss man, do you know if they have a deadlifting machine here?"

Bewildered, I shook my head. "No, sorry," I said. It took me a minute to regain my focus, but the workout went well.

1A) Deadlift
1B) High Box Jump

2) Snatch Grip Deadlift

3A) RDL
3B) OH Squat

4) Barbell Curl Challenge - 45lb bar x 31 reps <= Good times

5) Stationary bike sprint challenge...this bike inflated calories burned, so I can't count it as official, but I used Level 20 and it said 35 calories burned in a minute. I dunno about that...

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tip:
Build others UP because it will only make you more successful. If you don't have social support, take charge as the leader. Be confident in your choices. People will respect your decisions, even if it seems at first that they don't. Eventually, a lot of people will come to you for advice and support. You are the one making the right decision. Never forget that.

...
And here's some help I gave to a friend...

I am not a psychologist, a psychiatrist, or any other type of doctor. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night (haha). But I have a friend going through some tough times. He's depressed. And yes, he's under a physician's care, but I still had some suggestions for him. Here's his daily Mood Improvement Checklist that will help every TT reader:

1) One Minute Meditation (6 breaths, 4-second inhale, 6-second exhale)
2) Read one page from The Art of Living (Epictetus translated by Sharon LaBelle)
3) Walk outside in the sunshine for 20 minutes
4) Hug and kiss your wife and tell her you love her
5) Write in your ETR gratitude journal - takes just 5 minutes a day
6) Hug and kiss your kids and take a photo of them or with them every day
7) Reach out to a different friend every day. That are many folks that love you and care about you. Stay connected. Find a way to help them, too, and you will find yourself getting stronger.

He immediately replied, "Awesome, thanks!"

The checklist is already working.

Stay strong,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

No comments: