Saturday, March 07, 2015

The death of the black russian and near-death by burpees

Two weeks left on the streaking transformation...and I've come to a sad, but significant decision. Essentially it wipes out one of my five streaks, but it's the right move for me.

Streaking Update

1) Write 3000 words per day

The good news is that I've written a lot today, the bad news is that it was all for urgent-important tasks (TT emails and new program sales copy ideas), and not for non-urgent-important long term tasks (the book).

I have a lot of projects piling up, including the sales page for the TT Summit, a presentation for FBS, new sales copy for our new Trim-Down videos (we are renaming this), and daily emails, of course. And tomorrow is a device-free day, so I have to plow through my work today.

Managed to sneak in a burpee challenge workout today, seeing how long it would take me to do 100. I did 10 sets of 10 in 12:45. Head was pounding after that, and I was sucking wind, but I was fine in 15 minutes. Not the most enjoyable workout in the world, but 2014 TT Client of the Year, J-Roc, and I are going back and forth on the text line with all types of challenges. I win most of the strength ones, and he crushes me in endurance related ones, like high-rep lifts, and I'm sure he'll do 100 burpees in under 11 minutes.

This one is subjective, as obviously one man's burpee is another man's disgrace (in terms of pushup form and height of jump). But I know that he'll match me for quantity and quality in less time.

So now, while I take a break from work writing to stop by here and do some fun writing, we move on...get closer to the sad news...(sad for me, anyways, but interesting for everyone else).

2) No Post Dinner Binge Eating

None. Great control over this these days. Flew from Tampa to Toronto yesterday, ate a couple of Epic protein bars (beef) on the plane, along with the salad the flight serves, but skipped the warm nuts and entre that the plane served because I knew each contained suspect ingredients. When I got home, I had steak, a baked potato, and vegetables, and then grapefruit and pineapple for dessert.

3) 1 Drink Maximum

I didn't have any problem at the party last week, but I will be cutting out Black Russians...see below for the reason why...

4) No Outbursts or Snarkiness

Great interactions on the plane, with TSA, and so far at the local store I visited today. I was even fine with Joel's father-in-law the other night when he started giving me a hard time about dinner. I knew he would stop so I just rode it out. You gotta expect that stuff from Long Islanders.

5) Healthy Gut Days

And so here's the news...I might have to wipe out this entire streak...

I think i will need to give up Black Russians, more specifically, the Kaluha. It's got too much junk in it (corn syrup, too much sugar, and it uses grain alcohol). Ooops. Even though the manufacturer claims that it's gluten free (because the distillation process removes all gluten), Dr. Peter Osborne, the Gluten-Free Warrior, would not accept that explanation.

After months of denial, I can't accept it either.

On the bright side, I've on the trail of a few interesting alternatives on Google, including home-made coffee liquere recipes, home-made sugar-free Kaluha recipes, and some coffee flavored Patron tequila that I'm equally interested and terrified to try.

Tonight I shall enjoy an experimental cocktail as I try to find a new "go to" gluten-free drink that I can order anywhere.

Always looking for answers,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT
Certified Turbulence Trainer

PS - Today's kickbutt mindset tip:

If you fall "off the wagon", cut your losses, don't worry about it, and get right back on track. Immediately. It's minor damage that can be dealt with. Most people allow one treat to become a 50-shades-of-chocolate-3-month-orgy-of-fast-food, but it doesn't have to be that way. Sometimes the most important thing for fat loss is to simply stay out of harms way. Rather than focusing on being a perfect eater and trying to lower your calories, just make sure you don't put yourself in any situations where you overdo it. Let's go! Be good and be good to yourself this weekend. Stay strong and let's all keep pushing on.

No comments: