Friday, December 16, 2016

Old Man Chest Presses

I must be getting old, because I considered 4 sets of chest presses a "good workout". Seriously. I am getting old, that's for sure. But it felt right. Besides, I have to save a bit of grip and back strength for tomorrow.

1A) DB Chest Press
1B) Band Pulls
1C) WYLIT

Tomorrow... deadlifts at the YMCA if the snow holds off and I can get out the driveway in the AM!

Now here's a twist...

Recently an ETR reader asked:

"Craig, do you drink? And do most of your successful business friends drink?"

After a few days later I sent him this answer:

Great question. Sorry for the delay. I was on a 3-day bender.

Just kidding. :)

Up until age 30, I was a weekend binge drinker. I quit when I began to suffer from crippling anxiety attacks.

Today I have a drink once or twice a month. But only with Matt Smith, Mark Ford, Bedros Keuilian, or Joel Marion. I do not drink at work functions, so I have no fear of an office holiday party faux pas.

When I have a drink, I literally have just one drink. That's it. Over the years I've come to recognize the diminishing returns of alcohol. I just need one drink, or one sip of a really strong drink, to take the edge off. There's no need for more.

Plus, the less frequently you drink, the more you feel it the next day, and even the minor headache the next morning is not worth it. I plan on never, ever being hungover again. I've experienced a lifetime of hangovers already.

As for the high achievers I spend time with, I'd say that 50% of them drink regularly. Many are oenophiles, and Mark Ford is a tequila connoisseur.

I think anyone who drinks would feel better in the morning if they drank less, but it's not a concern for 99% of successful people I know. There's only one gentleman that worries me...

That said, there is something about a writing session with a good buzz!

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any follow up questions on alcohol, achievement, health, or happiness.

Speaking of writing... here's 10 of my favorite books from this year, and I wonder if any of them were written under the influence?

=> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkOA62UCpNE

Today's Kickbutt Mindset Tip:
Take three minutes and write down every nutrition obstacle in your way this week. Then take another three minutes and write down two solutions for every obstacle. Problems solved, and now you'll be able to stick to your plan with ease.

Stick it,

Craig Ballantyne, CTT

PS - When you put in place a personal operating system, or as I like to say, The Rules for Your Life, you'll suddenly become: · 3x's more productive · Healthier, slimmer, and more energetic · On the fast track to getting wealthier every day · Highly effective at work and highly engaged at home · The type of person that no longer gives in to bad habits or vices Here's how to put Rules into your life so you have more structure, and ultimately, more (true) freedom.
The 12 Rules I Live By (What Are Yours?)